Emergency Resources Bulletin: December 22, 2021
Full Image
The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries urges producers directly impacted by flooding to contact their local industry association for support with agriculture-related response needs. Agriculture producers in Abbotsford that do not belong to dairy, poultry or hog commodity associations should call the Abbotsford agricultural emergency response line at 1-604-262-7640.

For all other agricultural inquiries, contact the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries AgriService BC emergency response line at 1-888-221-7141.

If you or your staff need support in languages other than English, contact the ServiceBC emergency response line at 1-833-376-2452. Translation services are available seven days a week from 7:30 am to 5 pm (PDT). The ministry is working closely with the ServiceBC team to ensure they have up-to-date information on emergency resources and recovery programs for producers.





Weather monitoring and evacuation alerts

Keep up-to-date with weather alerts for your area on ECCC's website or by subscribing to @ECCCWeatherBC on Twitter.

Concerned you may need to evacuate? Visit EmergencyInfoBC for evacuation alerts and orders.




Travel and Product Transport

Updates to travel and fuel restrictions
The order restricting the purchase of fuel in certain regions has ended. Restrictions on travel along severely damaged highways will continue. For up-to-date information on road conditions and events, check the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure's  DriveBC.ca or DriveBC.ca/mobile websites. Updates are also available by subscribing to @DriveBC on Twitter.

Navigating unfamiliar highways
As highways are being repaired, drivers should consult the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure‘s Information Maps familiarize themselves with unfamiliar routes and any challenges they will encounter while travelling them. Maps for multiple highways including 3, 5, and 99 are available on TranBC's Current Road Advisories and Information webpage.

Prepare for winter road conditions

As drivers travel on new routes, it is more important than ever to ensure your vehicle is prepared for winter conditions. The Shift into winter campaign provides free resources and online safety courses to help commercial truck drivers ensure their vehicles are safe and secure while driving in winter conditions. 

Special measures at the United States-Canada border
Due to extreme weather conditions in B.C. that have caused supply chain disruptions, Canadian domestic truck carriers may need to transit through the U.S. to reach destinations in Canada. Special measures are in place to support domestic truck carriers moving product from a Canadian point of origin to a Canadian destination through the U.S. 
 - U.S. Customs and Border Protection guidance to alleviate supply chain disruptions in B.C.
 - Canada Border Services Agency guidance on transit through the U.S.

Carriers that regularly travel between Canada and the United States should follow standard procedures in order to reduce delays in border crossings. 




Re-entry and Re-start

Participate in the Emergency Flood Forage program
The program provides immediate relief for commercial livestock businesses that, due to the Atmospheric River event and related activities: 
 - cannot access their normal forage and hay supply, and
 - have lost their hay and forage which is required for animal welfare.
Information on program eligibility and how to apply can be found here (PDF, 114 KB).

Participate in the AgriStability program
The AgriStability program provides funding to farmers who have experienced income declines due to crop or livestock losses or market conditions. Late Participation has been implemented to allow participants who are not currently enrolled for the 2021 program year to apply to enrol until December 31, 2022.

Program details and information on how to enrol can be found on the Agriculture income protection (AgriStability) webpage or contact the AgiStability office at 1-877-343-2767 or via email at AgriStability@gov.bc.ca

Stay informed about the AgriRecovery program
The AgriRecovery program assists livestock and crop producers with recovery costs which are beyond the supports provided by existing government disaster financial assistance, risk management programs, and private insurance. The governments of B.C. and Canada are working with industry on an effective program for the various commodity growers in the different disaster areas. The two governments are working towards opening the program to applications in January 2022. 

More information on what extraordinary on-farm expenses impacted producers can anticipate receiving support with are available:
 - AgriRecovery Update - support for flood impacted farmers, English Version (PDF)
 - AgriRecovery Update - support for flood impacted, Punjabi Version (PDF)

To keep informed of any updates to the program and to receive notification of the applications opening, impacted farmers should register with agrirecovery@gov.bc.ca. One-on-one assistance will be provided to farmers requiring assistance completing applications when the program is available, and service will be provided in English and Punjabi.

Abbotsford Return Home Plan
The City of Abbotsford has launched their Return Home website, which contains important information and advisories for the South, Central, Lake Bottom, and North Return Home Areas including:
 - Active evacuation orders,
 - Water advisories,
 - Information on the rapid damage assessment process, and
 - Financial assistance.
Report sturgeon and salmon on your property
The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) has requested that anyone finding Sturgeon or Salmon, living or deceased, on their property call the DFO Emergency Hotline at 604-666-3500.




Health, safety, and wellness

As you return to your farm, it is important that all necessary precautions are taken to ensure the health and safety of you, your family, and your staff.

Safely dispose of spoiled feed
Contaminated and spoiled feed can be composted on-farm or stored for future land application. Review guidance on safely managing spoiled and contaminated feed.

Arrange for safe removal of hazardous materials 
Do not attempt to relocate hazardous material such plant protection products (i.e., pesticides, fungicides, herbicides), fertilizers, and hydrocarbons (i.e., gasoline, diesel, heating oil, propane) if you believe they have been compromised due to the floods.

Producers in Abbotsford should contact the ministry’s Abbotsford Agricultural Flood Response Line at 604-262-7640 to be connected with a hazardous materials disposal company for safe removal and disposal.

Responding to a liquid-manure overflow risk
Due to flooding, there is a risk of liquid manure releases from storage systems in the Metro Vancouver or Fraser Valley Regional Districts. An order has been issued requiring all agricultural operators in the area to contact the BC Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy.

At-risk operators should complete the Liquid Manure Overflow Risk Order Form: Section 80 AEM Code (PDF, 22KB) and email the completed form to authorizations.south@gov.bc.ca. Submit overflow risk order forms as soon as reasonably possible.

What to do with flood debris
Resources are available
from BC Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy to help you manage debris due to flooding, including flood damaged drywall.

Staying healthy in stressful times
The floods are having a devastating impact on our lives and our wellbeing. Help and resources for people who need to talk or feel overwhelmed are available

Quick Links

The ministry‘s priority is supporting those directly impacted by flooding. Routine calls to the AgriService phone line 1-888-221-7141 may have delayed response times.
Labelling and packaging requirements for pre-packaged foods
Find the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's information for food businesses regarding labelling and packaging requirements for certain foods sold at retail or to foodservice establishments in BC.

Apply for Employment Insurance
If you’re unable to work due to flooding or wildfires, apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits as soon as possible, even if your employer hasn’t yet issued you a record of employment.

 Want to see more webinars to support that could support your business? Visit our AgriService B.C. Past Webinars library to view other recorded webinars.
Full Image

Have a question about agriculture or food?

Contact AgriService BC   
Email: AgriServiceBC@gov.bc.ca

AgriService BC connects farmers, food processors and new entrants to agricultural services, programs and information that can help them succeed.